In the outer library at Hyde Hall hangs a portrait of a man whose identity was unknown to us until recently. Thanks to investigations from: Hyde Hall Site Manager, Randy Lamb; Board Chairman Gib Vincent; and Hyde Hall Trustee, Douglas Kent (who donated the Hyde Hall portrait), it seems that the man has been confirmed to be King Victor Amadeus III, 1726-1796. Along with visual similarities of the subject, careful comparisons of epaulets, medallion, belt, baton with crosses, armor details and cuffs were made to ascertain the identity.
From Gilbert T. Vincent:
The HH portrait would be described as “a period copy after the original by Giorgio Domenico Dupra “. Such copies of important political and military figures were created either to sell or give to various people. The original is dated 1755 to 58, and ours looks to be roughly the same date from the age and weave of the canvas. The portrait that resides at Ickworth is also a copy; and the original seems to belong to the Duke of Hamilton.
Country houses were full of portraits and there is a list of paintings at the English Hyde Hall that includes some English monarchs and a Dutch portrait.
From the National Trust Website:
Vittorio Amedeo III of Savoy was the son of Charles Emmanuel III (whose portrait is also at Ickworth) and his second wife, Polyxena of Hesse-Rheinfels-Rottenburg. He succeeded to the throne of Sardinia after the death of his father in 1773, and married the Infanta Maria Antonia (see her portrait also at Ickworth). His three sons reigned after him: Charles Emmanuel IV (1796-1802); Victor Emmanuel I (1802-1821); and Charles Felix (1821). The portrait is painted in a ponderously careful manner and must be by a copyist. Duprà’s style, to judge by the painting belonging to the Duke of Hamilton, was smooth and highly finished. It seems likely that the original portrait of Victor Amadeus belongs to about the time of his marriage in 1750, when Duprà is known to be at the court at Turin. This painting was almost certainly acquired by George William Hervey, 2nd Earl of Bristol (1721-1775) when envoy at Turin, 1755-58.
Ickworth House is a country house near Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, England. It is a neoclassical building set in parkland. The house is in the care of the National Trust. Ickworth house was built between 1795 and 1829, was formerly the chief dwelling of an estate owned by the Hervey family, later Marquesses of Bristol, since 1467. The building was the creation of Frederick Hervey, 4th Earl of Bristol and Bishop of Derry who commissioned the Italian architect Asprucci to design him a classical villa in the Suffolk countryside.