Entrance Hall Lantern

Dating to the first quarter of the nineteenth century, this fabulous Argand hall lantern was restored and finally installed in May, 2017 by machinist Joel Paradis of Westmoreland, New York. Joel fabricated the missing center fixture and patinated the frame with highlights to match as was done in the period. With the addition of this over-sized lantern, which is perfect for the generous proportions of the Entrance Hall, the mansion now boasts a variety of functioning period lighting devices that will be used for evening tours and demonstrations.

The lantern is a gift from Douglas R. Kent, who made funds available to support its purchase and full restoration. The lantern’s name is derived from Aime Argand, a Swiss-French chemist who devised a center draft burner in 1783 that represented the first major technological innovation in improved lighting since the time of the Romans. Although not original to Hyde Hall, it is an important early light fixture typical of the oversized lanterns often found in the halls of English and American mansions.

We thank Doug and all our donors who have made it possible for us to add to our collection of furnishings and working period lighting.

The Eagle Returns to Hyde Hall!

Pair of Girandole's

This pair of girandoles were separated in the 1990s, when one of the pair disappeared.  Jonathan Maney, Executive Director, found a match for it last weekend at an antiques show!  We hope to restore them completely and return the pair to the drawing room mantelpiece in Hyde Hall.

girandoles on mantel 1920 725

The black and white photograph is from Philip Hooker: a Contribution to the Study of the Renaissance in America by Edward W. Root (New York, Charles Scribner’s Sons: 1929).  These photos show the girandoles in perfect condition where they were always placed—on the marble mantel in the drawing room along with the French gilt clock and music box purchased from Baldwin Gardiner in 1833.

We have not yet found the bill for the girandoles, but they are most likely English and the quality is superb.

Pair of Chandeliers – Dining Room

Chandelier - Dining Room

Pair of Chandeliers

Made by an unidentified maker, probably English

Purchased from Baldwin Gardiner & Co.

New York City, New York

1830-1832

These chandeliers, described as “Boat Lamps,” were purchased by George Clarke (1768-1835) from Baldwin Gardiner & Co., 149 Broadway, New York City, on May 25, 1833, for $220.00. Clarke also purchased two sets of hangings for $50.00 and altered the burners from argand to alcohol for $2.00 per burner or $16.00.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5