George Clarke (1769-1835)
Oil on canvas painted by Adrian Lamb, copy of original portrait by Samuel F. B. Morse in 1829
1976 copy of 1829 original
This is a copy of the original by Samuel F. B. Morse (1791-1872), painted in 1829, which is in the St. Louis Museum of Fine Arts. Morse spent two summers in the Cooperstown area and executed a number of portraits of local inhabitants as well as at least one landscape, View From Apple Hill. Apple Hill was a house built by Richard Fenimore Cooper in 1800 and owned by his widow, Ann Cary Cooper Clarke in the 1820s.