Bollard, Great House
Bollard, Great House (1829-1834)
Hyde Hall, East Springfield, New York
Positioned at the outer extension of the portico and the northeast corner of the Great House, the bollards appear to be misplaced fortifications, but they are not. They protect the building’s limestone from being chipped by too-close carriage wheels. The tilted bollard prevents damage to the carriage wheel hub on impact.