Made by John Meads (1777-1859)
Albany, New York
George Clarke (1768-1835) purchased eight armchairs at £51.5.0 and four side chairs at £20.0.0 for his dining room. They were purchased from John Meads on May 17th, 1813 while Clarke was still residing at his Albany home. Meads was a prominent cabinetmaker in that city, and many of the original furnishings of Hyde Hall purchased between 1813 and 1834 are documented, and attributed to Meads’ firm. These Chairs came to Hyde Hall in 1819 when the Clarke family moved from Albany.