Inner and Outer Library Bookcases, Stone House (1817-1819)
Hyde Hall, Springfield, New York
Made by Thaddeus Lacy
c.1820 – 1821
Between 1820 and 1821, two sets of mahogany bookcases were constructed by Thaddeus Lacy, a cabinetmaker from Cooperstown, NY. George Clarke (1768-1835), paid $704.10 ½ for their construction. The mahogany was sent to Hyde Hall from John Meads (1777-1859), a cabinetmaker in Albany, NY, who also supplied most of the furniture for the house. The brass wire mesh was supplied by Henry W. Delavan & Co., a hardware firm from Albany, New York. Delavan & Co. also supplied much of the hardware for Hyde Hall. The upper doors were backed with green baize to keep dust and sunlight from the books. The baize is a reproduction by Thistle Hill Weavers, Cherry Valley and the tacks are original and follow the original tack holes.
Photo: John Bower