Hyde Hall HomePage Link

Upcoming Events

Tours Daily through Oct. 31
Tue 27

Mansion Tours

September 27 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Wed 28

Mansion Tours

September 28 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thu 29

Mansion Tours

September 29 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Fri 30

Mansion Tours

September 30 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Oct 01

The 3/4 Morgan Group, Ltd. Concours d’elegance

October 1 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Hours and Directions

Partners in Preservation

PPPHyde Hall participated in the second annual history fair organized by the Otsego County Historical Association on Saturday, April 23 at the Springfield Community Center. Twenty-two Historical societies set up their booths. It was an opportunity to show the progress in the restoration of the Hyde Hall Historic Mansion and to discuss the new carpet in the Drawing Room. Designed by David Hunt of the Vermont Custom Rug Company and manufactured by the Langhorne Carpet Company of Penndel, PA, this carpet will recreate the kind of floor covering once found in many of the mansion’s principal rooms, including the Front Hall and the Dining Room. In the early 19th-century, Brussels carpets, which have a looped pile construction, were typically installed in the homes of America’s most wealthy citizens, including presidents and major landowners.

 

Drwawing-room-X

The Oldest Covered Bridge in New York State

In the early days of roadways, bridges were typically constructed out of wood, which was plentiful, inexpensive and a fitting structural material.  Exposed wooden bridges would deteriorate quickly (10-15 years) from exposure to the elements, so to enable a more durable and long-lasting structure, bridges were built with a cover, in most cases including both a roof and sides.  Most covered bridges have been replaced to accommodate today’s vehicles and modern traffic.  There are only about 1600 original covered bridges remaining in the world today, and one of them was built as part of the Hyde Hall estate – officially the oldest covered bridge in NY.

covered bridge1

Hyde Hall’s covered bridge, built by George Clarke in 1823, is the oldest covered bridge in New York State. It is 53 feet long and one lane wide and has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1998. It can be seen on the grounds of Glimmerglass State Park, which borders Hyde Hall and was once part of the great Clarke estate. It crosses Shadow Brook and is for pedestrians only. The bridge form is known as a Burr Arch.

covered bridge5

covered bridge6

In addition to protection from the elements, for pedestrians, drivers and the structure itself, it is thought that covered bridges helped keep animals calmer when crossing rivers and streams, which helped to reduce damage to the structure as well.

For more information about covered bridges and where to find them, visit the following websites:

Hyde Hall Garden Notes

George Clarke was well versed in gardening and landscape architecture and held an extensive library of literary and trade sources on the topics.  The gardens at Hyde Hall were re-developed several times, beginning with items for practical use and then turning to a mix that included more ornamental plants and flowers.  Clarke also invested in apple orchards on the estate and experimented with other types of fruit trees as well.

The Hyde Hall gardens were located on the grounds on what is currently the parking pavilion for Glimmerglass State Park, just below the location of the family vault.  There was a garden house in this area and a fountain in the center.   The archived receipts show that the Clarkes  purchased decorative plants and flowers, fruit trees, and a number of items presumably used as supply for household meals.

A few drawings of the Garden Plans are below:

Plan of Garden CLR 37sm Revised Garden Plan CLR p 40sm

 

Below are receipts from orders made in the early 1800’s, many of which are from the G. Thorburn Seed Company in New York City.  Grant Thorburn  became a seedsman in 1805. He struggled through discouragements, failures, and even (in 1808) bankruptcy, and ultimately made his seed business one of the greatest in the world.  You can read his ‘Life and Writings of Grant Thorburn’ work from the New York Public Library here.


For more about the gardens at Hyde Hall, see Executive Director, Jonathan Maney’s article in the Fall 2014 Newsletter “New York’s Oldest English Landscape Garden”.

Doc 4 A Garden seedsm

 

Doc 5 A 20 Apple_6 Plum_15 Pecan treessm

Document 1 A Bill for Garden Seeds-1sm

Document 2 A Garden Seeds_Thorburn NYsm

Source: Hyde Hall Cultural Landscape Report, 2011, William Neil Marzella.

Tin Top Bridge

 Hyde Hall Tin Top Bridge
Hyde Hall Tin Top Bridge

Tin-Top Bridge

Hyde Hall, East Springfield, New York

This bridge was completed in 2011 and provides access to Hyde Hall from Tin Top through its Mill Road entrance. The existing culvert, which replaced the original bridge in the early 20th century, washed out in June 2006.  The current bridge was modeled after an original 1824 drawing of a proposed bridge at the Hyde estate in Cheshire, England.  The bridge now acts as the main entrance to the Hyde Hall grounds.

2012 Photograph by Michael Reynolds

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5