Hyde Hall HomePage Link

Upcoming Events

Tours Daily through Oct. 31
Oct 01

The 3/4 Morgan Group, Ltd. Concours d’elegance

October 1 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Oct 01

Mansion Tours

October 1 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Oct 02

Mansion Tours

October 2 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Oct 03

Mansion Tours

October 3 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Oct 04

Mansion Tours

October 4 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Hours and Directions

Terrace of Hyde Hall

View of Hyde Hall From Lake Otsego
View of Hyde Hall From Lake Otsego

Terrace of Hyde Hall

Glimmerglass State Park, East Springfield, New York

One of the standard features of the natural English landscape is the main house standing on a terrace that highlights the house and opens distant views to the occupants. George Clarke (1768-1835) modified the terrace at Hyde Hall by cutting into Mt. Wellington and expanding a small natural plateau on the site.

 2012 Photograph by Michael Reynolds

Oval windows, Stone House (1817-1819)

Oval windows, Stone House (1817-1819)Outside of Dismal Room

Oval windows, Stone House (1817-1819)

Hyde Hall, Springfield, New York

Build by Cyrenus Clark (1777-after 1856)

Oval windows were a favorite decorative motif of the Federal period and particularly the architecture of Philip Hooker (1766-1836). Two pairs of oval windows were supplied to the Stone House section of Hyde Hall: one for a bedroom, the other for the stair hall. They were made by master carpenter Cyrenus Clark (1777- after 1856 )  in late December, 1819.

Outer Library Marble Mantel, Stone house (1817-1819)

Outer Library Marble Mantel, Stone house (1817-1819)

Outer Library Marble Mantel, Stone house (1817-1819)

Hyde Hall, Springfield, New York

Supplied by Abraham Labagh (1768-1855)

New York City, New York

1819

In 1819, George Clarke (1768-1835), purchased two mantels made of King of Prussia or Pennsylvania Blue marble from Abraham Labagh (1768-1855), a stone cutter and stone merchant in New York City. They were placed in the Inner and Outer libraries of the Stone House wing of Hyde Hall.

Inner and Outer Library Bookcases, Stone House (1817-1819)

20160602_Libray Bookcase_0556 1200px

Inner and Outer Library Bookcases, Stone House (1817-1819)

Hyde Hall, Springfield, New York

Made by Thaddeus Lacy

c.1820 – 1821

Between 1820 and 1821, two sets of mahogany bookcases were constructed by Thaddeus Lacy, a cabinetmaker from Cooperstown, NY. George Clarke (1768-1835), paid $704.10 ½ for their construction. The mahogany was sent to Hyde Hall from John Meads (1777-1859), a cabinetmaker in Albany, NY, who also supplied most of the furniture for the house. The brass wire mesh was supplied by Henry W. Delavan & Co., a hardware firm from Albany, New York. Delavan & Co. also supplied much of the hardware for Hyde Hall. The upper doors were backed with green baize to keep dust and sunlight from the books. The baize is a reproduction by Thistle Hill Weavers, Cherry Valley and the tacks are original and follow the original tack holes.

Photo: John Bower

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5